Pneumatics is an area of physics that studies the use of gases or pressurized air. Applied in engineering, it has several uses, such as industrial machinery and equipment. Like electrical and hydraulics, pneumatics is very common in industrial automation applications. Thus, it stands out for its ability to increase productivity at a relatively lower operating cost.
How Does It Work
Pneumatic equipment used at cylinders inc works from compressed atmospheric air. Thus, for its operation, it is first necessary the presence of a compressor. After passing through the compressor, the compressed air goes through pipes until it reaches the tools, cylinders, and other equipment that it feeds. The operation can be divided into 3 steps:
- Generation: The compressor captures the air in the environment and increases its pressure. That is, the compressor generates compressed air.
- Distribution: Compressed air is distributed to different applications through a system of metal or plastic pipes that runs through the factory.
- Application: Compressed air arrives at the equipment or tool, feeding it to perform its task.
A pneumatic application typically consists of pneumatic cylinders, control valves, air preparation, and accessories.
- Pneumatic cylinder: Uses compressed air to exert a force over a particular stroke or extent.
- Cylinder sensors: Send electrical signals according to the behavior of the cylinder, informing when it is extended or when it is retracted.
- Pneumatic valve: Controls the direction of compressed air.
- Air preparation: Comprises components used to filter, regulate and lubricate compressed air. They are essential to increase the life of pneumatic components.
- Pneumatic connections: Used to connect pneumatic components, they can be of different types.
- Pressure switches: Indicate whether the air pressure is high or low—fundamentals for controlling a pneumatic system.
- Other control elements: Components are used to automate pneumatic equipment, such as flow and pressure regulators, block valves, logic valves, buttons, levers, etc.
Pneumatic technology stands out for being cheap, safe, and easy to apply. Therefore, it is increasingly present in industries, bringing significant productivity and cost reduction gains.
- Relatively small investment required;
- Ease of deployment and maintenance;
- Simplicity in operation;
- Easy understanding of the operation logic;
- Reduction of operating costs;
- Increase in the pace of work;
- Resistance to hostile environments (dust, temperature, humidity);
- Greater security.
Pneumatics is present, at different levels, in practically all industrial branches.
- Food and drinks;
- Power generation;
- Heavy industry;
- Machines and equipment;
- Oil and Gas;
- Chemical and petrochemical industry.
In addition, pneumatic technology used by cylinders inc is also found, for example, in amusement parks to automate some toys, in buses to open and close doors, among many other places. Likewise, it can be applied to different types of machines and processes:
- Product packaging;
- Paper production;
- Plastic production;
- Open and close valves;
- Transport and movement of materials.